Director of Catering
As the world’s largest hotel company, and a leading player in the global hospitality industry, Wyndham Hotel Group boasts 7,500 hotels and 15 brands in 70 countries—all supported by more than 7,000 associates on six continents. And we know our success is attributable to our associates; a bright, talented and diverse group of individuals who embrace our signature “Count On Me!” service culture and have a passion for excellence. To learn more visit us at http://www.wyndhamworldwide.com/
For more than 40 years, Q Center has been successful in the business of making meetings matter more. Beginning as corporate training headquarters for a renowned professional service firm, Q Center, located in a suburb one hour west of Chicago’s “Magnificent Mile”, has graduated into so much more than a full-service conference venue. It consistently earns top grades for attentive service and enviable amenities from Fortune 500 companies, association meeting planners, and special event coordinators alike.
With 150,000 square feet of versatile, IACC-certified meeting space and 95 acres of beautiful recreational grounds, Q Center provides a productive and idyllic setting for groups to engage their creativity spirit and maximize their potential. Add to that an accomplished meeting and events staff, expert in-house event production and technical teams, on-site professional printing service, renown banquet capabilities and you’ve got one amazing meetings and events venue that’s at the head of its class.
Wyndham Hotel Group is searching for a Director of Catering at our Q Center - A Dolce Conference Collection property located in St. Charles, IL. The Director of Catering oversees and is responsible for the selling and handling of social catering, weddings and banquets, handle catering/banquet menu revisions, pricing and the total social catering marketing plan; responsible for the smooth operation of the departments, and the training and satisfactory performance of the staff.
Essential functions include but are not limited to:
• Manages market territory based on annual room night and revenue target. This includes identifying potential group business, negotiating room nights and rate, and closing the deal with a signed contract.
• Participates in community wide events, industry related professional organizations, attends trade shows and conducts sales trips.
• Completes weekly sales reports and other departmental reports as designated.
• Reviews all Group Seller weekly activities and guides them in account development strategies
• Ensures that all Group Sellers have a current 30-60-90 day Sales Action Plans.
• Conducts weekly 1:1's with members of the Catering Sales Team
• Implements and effectives Sales Coaching program for all sellers - apart from joining sellers on joint sales calls.
• Helps sellers to close complex leads
• Reviews Group turn down reports for GSO, Team Dolce and all incoming lead sources such as Starcite, Cvent to ensure that leads are followed up upon expediently and that turn downs do not occur without offering alternative dates and space.
• Works with Conference Sales Managers, other Sales Managers, and Revenue Manager to assure maximum utilization of facility.
• Participates in the MCA Sales Mystery Shopping program for self but also is involved in feedback sessions for Group Sellers when shopped.
• Participates in MCA Sales Training classes and is responsible for registering and ensuring all Group Sellers complete set curriculum as determined by home office
• Attends weekly sales and bi weekly goes to revenue management meetings and other meetings as designated. Participates and listens to the Monthly Global DOCP (Director of Conference Planning) Conference Call to stay abreast of industry vendors, learn best practices and Dolce global sales programs.
• Understands and works closely with Revenue Manager to insure target ceilings and rates are set and that pricing is associated - shares MAR rates and pricing ranges with the group sellers.
• Assists the DOCP in the month-end reporting, forecasting and the annual budget process, including the business/marketing plan and review for the sales department.
• Develops and implements new/special market programs when needed.
• Provides feedback to DOCP relating to guest comments, observations, rumors, industry news, etc.
• Works with the Group Sales team to develop property specific group promotions that can be executed by the Corporate Field Marketing Team.
• Prospects for clients using multiple sources.
• Assists the DOCP in compiling group competition overview of marketing plan as well as monthly booking audits - has been to the competition and remains up to date on their condition and market positioning.
• Conducts on-site property tours.
• Entertains clients on and off property.
• Assists with and completes special projects and assignments as designated by the Director of Conference Planning.
• This position requires a minimum of 7 years job-related experience, preferably in mid-size to large full-service resort/hotel sales.
• A minimum formal education of college diploma highly preferred.
• Solid working knowledge of corporate transient, group, leisure and catering segments
• Proven track record of driving solid results • Excellent communications skill (oral & written)
• Proven ability to effectively develop & lead a team to achieve/exceed growth goals.
• Proven ability to foster relationships with key third party vendors, political and community organizations
• Demonstrated analytical ability and financial acumen and report writing skills
• Effective presentation and interpersonal skills • Computer literate. Prefer Microsoft Office proficiency. Prefer experience with Delphi, Lanyon and Opera hotel automation systems.
• Understand the GDS, TMC and different channel distributions related to travel.
• Ability to analyze market data and translate it to a plan to target new business through Hotelligence Report, Star Report, etc.
• Ability to work collaboratively and communicate effectively with team members at all levels of the organization.
• Must have employment eligibility in the U.S.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
• Must be able to sit at a desk for up to 5 hours per day. Walking and standing are required the rest of the working day. While attending trade shows, must be able to stand for up to 8 hours per day. This includes traveling to and from meetings and may include air travel. Length of time of these tasks may vary from day to day and task to task.
• Must be able to exert well-paced ability to reach other departments of the hotel on a timely basis.
• Must be able to lift up to 15 lbs. occasionally.
• Requires grasping, writing, standing, sitting, walking, repetitive motions, listening and hearing ability and visual acuity. Some portions of daily assignments involve ergonomic risk, such as repetitive tasks, hands exertion, vibration, cold temperatures, poor body mechanics, restrictive work stations or awkward postures.
• Some portions of the assignments require travel to other hotels, trade shows and client events via car, plane, rail, subway or other mode.
• Talking and hearing occur continuously in the process of communicating with guests, supervisors and subordinates.
• Vision occurs continuously with the most common visual functions being those of near vision and depth perception.
• Must have finger dexterity to be able to operate office equipment such as computers, printers, 10-key adding machine, multi-line touch tone phone, filing cabinets, FAX machines, photocopiers, dolly and other office equipment as needed.
Due to the cyclical nature of the hospitality industry, employees may be required to work varying schedules to reflect the business needs of the hotel. In addition, attendance at all scheduled training sessions and meetings is required. Work may require evening, night, holiday, or weekend assignments on occasion.
Wyndham Hotels and Resorts is an Equal Opportunity Employer – Minorities/Women/Veterans/Disabled.
We require consent to pre-employment background screening & drug testing for all positions.
If you require a reasonable accommodation to complete an application please email your request to Mycareer@Wyn.com and provide the job title and location to which you are applying.
© 2006-2017 Wyndham Worldwide Corporation. All rights reserved. Wyndham Worldwide and affiliated brands and logos are service marks and/or registered trademarks of Wyndham Worldwide or its subsidiaries in the United States and other countries.