Director of Event Planning & Operations
With an unrivalled location on Wacker Drive, just off Michigan Avenue, the Wyndham Grand Chicago Riverfront is in the heart of everything that is Chicago. The hotel boasts 334 spacious guestrooms, Hoyt’s Chicago restaurant and bar, 24-hour business and fitness centers and over 16,000 square feet of private event space. Many of our guest rooms offer stunning views of either the city or the famed Chicago River.
The Hotel offers 47 vacation ownership units in partnership with Wyndham Hotel Group’s sister company, Wyndham Vacation Ownership. As the world’s largest developer and marketer of flexible, points-based vacation ownership products, Wyndham Vacation Ownership has developed or acquired more than 185 vacation ownership resorts throughout the United States, Canada, Mexico, the Caribbean and the South Pacific that represent more than 23,000 individual vacation ownership units.
The Wyndham Grand Chicago Riverfront is part of the prestigious Wyndham Grand® ensemble of distinguished hotels within the Wyndham Hotels and Resorts brand that represent one-of-a-kind experiences in key destinations with refined accommodations, attentive service and relaxed surroundings. Wyndham Hotel Group, part of the Wyndham Worldwide (NYSE: WYN) family of companies, is the world’s largest hotel company with approximately 8,000 hotels and over 689,800 rooms in 73 countries.
The Director of Event Planning & Operations is responsible for coordinating, supervising and directing all aspects of the Banquet’s operations and Event Services while maintaining profitabilty and high quality products and service levels. He/she is expected to market ideas to promote business; reduce employee turnover; maintain revenue and payroll budgets; and meet budgeted productivity while keeping quality consistently high.
- At least 4 years of progressive experience in a hotel or events management experience; or a 4-year college degree and at least 1 years of related experience; or a 2-year college degree and 2 or more years of related experience.
- Must be proficient in Windows, Company approved spreadsheets and word processing.
- Strong knowledge of service standards, and different service types (French, Russian, etc.)
- Knowledge of food and beverage preparation techniques, health department rules and regulations, liquor laws and regulations.
- Well-developed organizational and logistical management skills required to coordinate and execute multiple events held simultaneously.
- Familiarity with and knowledge of employment laws required.
- Knowledgeable and proficient with Union Contracts.
- Previous supervisory responsibility required.
- Long hours sometimes required.
- Weekends, holidays & evening hours are required.
- Must be able to sit at a desk for up to 5 hours per day. Walking and standing are required the rest of the working day.
- Must be able to exert well-paced ability to reach other departments of the hotel on a timely basis.
- Medium work - Exerting up to 50 pounds of force occasionally, and/or 20 pounds of force frequently or constantly to lift, carry, push, pull or otherwise move objects.
DUTIES & FUNCTIONS
- Oversee all aspects of the hotel’s banquet operation and events planning.
- Coordinate and monitor all phases of Loss Prevention in the banquet operation.
- Ensure inspection of all banquet areas for cleanliness and maintenance on a regular basis.
- Control and maintain all service equipment. Write service requests as necessary.
- Supervise proper tabulation of all banquet checks and ensure that all checks are presented to guests for signature.
- Requisition liquor, etc. for banquet bars.
- Generate group business by maintaining good customer relations and making sure the client’s needs are met properly.
- Effectively plan and communicate to all departments the expressed need of the customer.
- Assist managers in day to day operations, ensuring staffing is appropriate to business levels and that a positive and efficient work environment is maintained.
- Work directly with the Executive Chef to ensure all catering options/menus are presented to the customer accurately and effectively.
- Ensure that all appropriate communication for upcoming business is complete and distributed in a timely manner to the management team.
- Work closely with the Audio/Visual department to ensure room set-ups, A/V needs, and special requests are handled in a timely and efficient manner.
- Assist the General Manager and Accounting department in analyzing service, standards and finances of the conference center.
- Respond to guest complaints in a timely manner.
- Sell and up-sell conference services and banquet services functions.
- Assign banquet/meeting rooms based on the needs of clients.
- Establish rapport with meeting planners while promoting hotel facilities and services. Conduct walking site inspections.
- Plan and conduct pre & post event meetings with clients and applicable departments.
- Maximize exposure through creative promotion both during and pre /post event.
- Keep abreast of market trends, competitor's activities and guest/client feedback.
- Respond to all correspondence to clients.
- Greet guests during events.
- Work with managers to keep them informed of issues as they arise.
- Hire, train, develop, coach and counsel managers that are direct reports.
- Monitor quality of service in Banquets.
- Know meeting room sets and capabilities.
- Enforce all department SOP’s.
- Audit Function Space diary.
- Meet and greet in-house all meeting planners upon arrival and check in on them daily.
- Maintain pricing integrity and propose upscale menus for all groups.
- Complete all month end catering and banquet reports.
- Enter and monitor accurate Delphi records on a daily base.
- Understand and train managers on incentive program, shop calls and upselling techniques.
- Build a base and interact with outside planners and vendors for special events.
- Ensure compliance with all liquor laws, and health and sanitation regulations.
- Organize and conduct department meetings in a timely manner.
- Comply with weekly and monthly forecasting procedures and assist in departmental budget.
- Accurately forecast all group pick up and manage the process of cut off dates and assist in hotels inventory management.
- Ensure preparation of required reports, including but not limited to Kronos, payroll, revenue, employee schedules, and quarterly action plans.
- Conduct staff talent reviews and performance reviews (mid-year and annual) in accordance with Wyndham standards.
WHG is a drug-free workplace and requires a background check and drug test prior to employment.
If you require a reasonable accommodation to complete an application please email your request to Mycareer@Wyn.com and provide the job title and location to which you are applying.
© 2006-2017 Wyndham Worldwide Corporation. All rights reserved. Wyndham Worldwide and affiliated brands and logos are service marks and/or registered trademarks of Wyndham Worldwide or its subsidiaries in the United States and other countries.