Vice President, Design
There’s no one else like us. Wyndham Hotel Group is a hotel industry giant with an unmatched presence of more than 8,100 hotels and approximately 708,500 rooms in 78 countries. We’re a hospitality powerhouse, with iconic brands united by the richest and simplest rewards program in the business.
Our brands include: Super 8®, Days Inn®, Howard Johnson®, TRYP by Wyndham®, Ramada Worldwide®, Ramada Encore, Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham®, Hawthorn Suites by Wyndham®, Wingate by Wyndham®, Travelodge®, Knights Inn®, Baymont Inn & Suites®, Wyndham Garden®, Wyndham Hotels and Resorts®, Wyndham Grand®, Dazzler® Hotels, Esplendor® Boutique Hotels, The Trademark Hotel Collection®, AmericInn® and Dolce Hotels and Resorts®.
The blue thread that ties them all together is Wyndham Rewards®, the richest and simplest rewards program in the business. Wyndham Rewards has revolutionized the loyalty landscape, offering members a simple-to-use, generous points-earning structure along with a flat, free night redemption rate – the first of its kind for a major rewards program. Wyndham Rewards® members – over 53 million and counting – have the chance to earn and redeem points for hundreds of rewards options around the world every day.
Headquartered in Parsippany, N.J., with offices around the globe in London, Shanghai, Buenos Aires, Dubai and other cities, Wyndham Hotel Group employs over 8,800 associates worldwide.
The Vice President, Design will lead a team that develops and maintains WHG brand prototypes and supporting information, reviews franchise design and renovation requests, supports key WHG development and design projects and provides architectural services and project support to managed and owned operations. This position will report to the SVP, Franchise Services and Brand Operations and will work closely with franchisees, Brand Operations leadership, Managed Hotel Operations, Franchise Sales, Franchise Operations/Quality, Hotel Openings, Legal, Sourcing and Brand Marketing. Primary responsibilities of the role include setting the strategic direction for WHG to build the value of WHG brands through innovative prototype development and design and assisting internal and external customers with leveraging design assets to build or renovate hotels that deliver great guest experiences. This position will build the design and customer service abilities of the design team. In addition, the VP, Design will identify and execute on a plan to gain industry recognition for WHG successes in the area of design and prototype development.
As part of the strategy plans for Design, the VP will direct the development and enhancement of prototype creation, update and maintenance processes. Updating processes will require effective communication and collaboration with the WHG departments noted above and with WHG suppliers, vendors and service providers. Ensuring franchisee engagement in new design concepts will involve effective use of resources to notify and involve franchisees in the enhanced value propositions that the team creates. Employing Design team support for internal initiatives will involve regular discussion and collaboration with other departments to collaborate on cross-functional brand objectives. Ongoing departmental improvement efforts will include identification and implementation of new technology to support Design initiatives. In addition to leading the team that executes Design initiatives in North America, the VP, Design will work with international leadership (LATAM, EMEA, SEAPR, China) to assist in developing and adapting Design assets to meet regional needs..
The VP will work closely with Brand Marketing, Brand Operations and Sourcing to identify requested changes to prototypes. New or updated designs and specifications require clear roll-out plans that update all involved parties, including manufacturers and purchasing agents (PSPs). Projects to update prototype documents will require effective project management and budget management. The VP will partner closely with Brand Operations leaders to develop strategic prototype and design plans for each of WHG’s brands.
Lead and develop the Design team:
- Provide strategic and tactical guidance to assist team members in achieving the Design team objectives
- Guide Design associates in the planning and execution of key initiatives
- Create and communicate key performance metrics that show team performance and results
- Identify internal resources available for career development
- Provide motivational opportunities to execute strategies
- Identify opportunities to improve design, technical and leadership skills for individual team members
- Recognize high achievers or exceptional contributors
- Provide appropriate feedback to help achieve optimal performance and professional development.
Establish and implement a Design plan that supports WHG initiatives and establishes a leadership position within the hospitality industry:
- Create, enhance and manage Design processes that create industry-leading and segment relevant designs and specifications.
- Work with key service providers to augment prototype and specifications to ensure relevance, accuracy and availability
- Apply operational metrics to track progress in achieving key initiatives.
- Ongoing improvement of Design technology and support systems
- Communicate Design strategies effectively throughout the WHG organization
- Supervision of Design processes and reports
Direct, manage, and maintain prototypes, supporting schedules, specifications and other design documents:
- Maintain, update and improve Design assets in coordination with Brand Operations, Marketing and Standards and key service providers.
- Collaborate with Brand Standards to ensure prototypes are aligned with each Brand.
- Ensure availability design assets to franchisees and Franchise Development and enhance access and information available to increase franchisee engagement
- Lead new Design initiatives to ensure effective operationalization.
Monitor competitive landscape to identify hospitality design trends and enhancements:
- Use industry information to guide strategic direction and decisions
Manage and control cost centers:
- Create yearly budget for the cost center
- Apply efficient forecasting models for the cost center
- Determine cost saving opportunities
- Monitor expenses to ensure compliance with department and company T&E policies.
This position is directly responsible for the oversight of staff and department processes. The position must maintain an environment that promotes professional development and optimal performance to meet department goals and objectives. In addition, the position is a direct point of contact with Senior Management and internal departments and requires strong leadership and decision making skills. The position makes daily decisions that impact the long-term growth and financial success of the company.
Key competencies include:
- Proven leadership and management ability
- Driving change
- Setting strategic direction and aligning tactical objectives
- Strong business analysis and execution skills.
- Clear and concise verbal and written communication skills.
- Critical decision making
- College degree in a relevant field of work
- Masters (Design/Hospitality) preferred
- Minimum 7 years supervisory experience
- Minimum 7 years progressive work-related experience in hospitality design environment
- Strong oral and written communication skills
- Strong leadership skills due to scope of responsibility
If you require a reasonable accommodation to complete an application please email your request to Mycareer@Wyn.com and provide the job title and location to which you are applying.
© 2006-2017 Wyndham Worldwide Corporation. All rights reserved. Wyndham Worldwide and affiliated brands and logos are service marks and/or registered trademarks of Wyndham Worldwide or its subsidiaries in the United States and other countries.